Cyperus papyrus



Uses : Textile, Ornamental. Native to : Egypt
     The history of this plant is long and well-known, but did you know that it has become an exotic invasive in Florida? Once, long ago, someone planted one of these in the shady part of our yard underneath several Cherry Laurel trees, and years later there is still 3 or 4 stalks surviving.
     It is known to grow in areas like ditches and swamps, where abundant moisture can be found.
     Historically, the young shoots can be roasted and eaten much like bamboo. I have fed the stalks and leaves to the rabbits, and they aren't dead yet, so I must be doing something right.
     Unfortunately wildlife seem to have no interest in this unusual plant. It flowers in the spring, but the flowers are green and right in the middle of the big green fan fronds, so kind of easy to miss.

You can cultivate Papyrus like I do, as in, with abandon. Since they are in the grass the family they are very forgiving. What I like to do with them is put a bunch of dead leaves and mulch in he bottom of a 1 gallon pot, then put the piece of plant in, then put mulch and leaves all around the sides of the plant to hold it up. Then stick the whole thing into one of my mini ponds because papyrus loves water. I have literally grown papyrus in rocks in pondwater before. I stopped using rocks because they became annoying when it was time to divide up the papyrus stems and roots.
This plant is part of my master plen to take back the front of my yard, which is a great big mess. But papyrus is sweet and beautiful, and the rabbits like to eat it so I'm going to keep this well-haved permaculture fodder source around as much as I can.