Water hyacinth

     Hands down, my favorite vegetable to grow in the garden is an edible perennial called Water Hyacinth (Eichornia crassipes.) It's the vegetable that I eat most regularly. It requires very little ❤. It's hardy in our winters. It's edible by the rabbits.
     My favorite way to eat them is to slice the airbulbs lengthwise until the size of greenbeans, then stir fry on the stove with mushrooms, garlic, and oil. The water hyacinth ends up tasting like green beans and is just as healthy.
     I literally love this plant so much it's become part of my retirement strategy - to cut down on food costs by growing as much as possible at home. I plan on cooking and eating it several times a week at least. And it does need to be cooked to ensure safety.
     In the summer I harvest the plants, cut off the roots, and feed them whole to the rabbits. The plants are high in plant protein, which is difficult for the rabbits to get in their diet. Between the water hyacinth and the napier grass, I think that I can make a complete diet for the rabbits.